Considerations before embarking on a life changing programme
The variety of personal development programs available in the market is vast and overwhelming. How do you know which programs are right for you? What can we do to maximize the benefits of a self-improvement course? Here are three steps that I've discovered to be crucial in starting any personal development program:
It's easy to look at a program and discard it quickly. There are so many options available that we may tend to be too critical or unintentional in our selection criteria. Remember that in life, answers don't always come from the places that we'd expect them to come from. Often, we are surprised at where we make new discoveries. So don't dismiss a book by its cover and don't dismiss a workshop because someone told you to stay away from it.
Have an Attitude of Expectation
Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right." I believe it is also true that, whether you think you WILL, or whether you think you WON'T, you're right. Our minds have the ability to transform our expectations into reality. You must start and complete personal development program with the attitude that it WILL make a difference for you.
Undertake Personal Responsibility
Buying a book or attending a weekend event is simply not enough. We've got to read the book, and we've got to be proactive at the event. More than that, we must do the exercises recommended to us. If a certain activity scares us, that's all the more reason to do it! In fact, let's be courageous - engage the speaker/facilitator, ask questions, and discuss with peers. We must take action and implement what we're learning. Knowledge is more like "potential" power. Knowledge is not real power until we learn to put it into action!
- How to build and maintain rapport - the key to successful relationships.
- How to master advanced communications and influencing skills.
- How to achieve clarity on precisely what you want in the key areas of our life.
- How to gather specific, high quality information from people and how to use it to achieve your outcomes.
- How to increase the range of what you are able to see, hear and feel so you know more about what's going on.
- How to use metaphor effectively, as all great communicators do.
- How to generate practical, well-formed outcomes and how to achieve them.
- How to design interventions to move a person or an organisation from where they are to where they need to be.
- How to create the right context for successful individual and organisational change.
- How to change unwanted behaviours.
- How to determine what is important to yourself and others. How to see what is going on inside others.
- How to talk another person's language.
- How to create your own personal state of excellence. How to communicate clearly and effectively.
- How to make meetings work.
- How to mediate and negotiate more successfully.
- How to recognise and use powerful language patterns. How to develop your behavioural flexibility and creativity.
- How to be more at peace with yourself.
- You will have mastered many of the cutting-edge skills being used by individuals and businesses to increase their effectiveness and impact.
- You will know how to overcome personal issues from the past that may have been holding you back. You will also be able to pass these skills on to family, friends and colleagues.
- You will learn some of the most powerful communication skills available.
- You will discover how to set and achieve goals.
- You will learn to master your mind - so that you are in control of your life rather than being at the mercy of events.
- You will have a highly effective set of skills for handling stress.
- You will discover how NLP can make a significant impact on organisations.
- You will be a more effective learner - enabling you to master the skills vital for progressing your career in the years ahead.
- You will be able to influence your children more effectively.
- You will be better equipped to negotiate and handle meetings.
- By understanding modelling, the cornerstone of NLP, you will be able to duplicate other people's excellence in any field that you choose.